Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Project inception

Two years ago, UWG had an IT audit that made some recommendations to improve our performance. We've had success in addressing the most pressing problems cited in the audit, but we need to do more.

Our current organizational structure is a considerable obstacle to progress:

  • We are hindered by multiple, overlapping points of accountability and responsibility.
  • We are well-off in some areas, but deficient in others.
  • The quality of user service is very uneven across campus.
  • The possibilities for budgeting and planning are restricted.
  • It is difficult to tell where we succeed, and where we fall short.
So, Dr. Sethna charged me to develop and present a plan to reorganize our IT structures to reflect the need to handle operations and enterprise systems on the one hand, and user services on the other.

Consistent with the concept of a single point of accountability, I will have the responsibility to develop an implementation plan as well. I am to develop the implementation plan this semester, and put it into place in January.

As I work on this, I'll consult with users, administrators, and IT colleagues. The key, obviously, will be to develop a strategy that will make things better, and I count on your help to make that happen.

I hope this blog will
keep UWG up to date with what I'm doing, and give you a chance to offer your reactions, comments, and suggestions. If you don't want to post your thoughts publicly, just send me an email at wlloyd@westga.edu.

No comments: